Friday, August 19, 2005

Fish & Chips Part 13



He slumped against the wall and started to cry. Then he climbed into the tub and turned on the steam and he actually prayed.

But he didn't feel any better after. He dried off and bandaged his ankle proper and the gash to his rib.

And he thought about the girl.

It was less than 24 hours since he had seen her. Actually it was about the same time.

He heard a small knock at the door.

When he opened it there was a small vase with flowers in it. She was sitting quietly at the stairs.

There was a small card. It said "believe in love. Z."

He was once again stunned. It seemed to him that she was always one step ahead of him.

He stepped down the stairs.

"How did you know where I live?"

"I looked in your wallet when you showered Richard," she said straight.

"No one calls me Richard," he said kindly. "I go by, well, Dicky."

"Dicky?!" she laughed.

"Yeah...I got this think for the old Allman Brothers," he said.

"Oh yeah," she said exhaling smoke. "Dickey Betts."

He sat down next to her.

"Can I have a smoke?"

She offered one in silence.

He smelled the fresh tobacco and took in the first draw then stubbed it out. Then he smelled her neck.

"How's the baby?" he asked openly.

"She is well."

"Do you dream often?" he asked.

"No. never." she answered. "I just see what I see in daylight. I do not always like it, but I liked seeing you yesterday."

"What did you like?" he asked selfishly. "I mean, you are a walking enigma."

"I'll tell you," she said drawing a deep smoke. Then she let it out and turned and looked him in the eyes. "But you first. You have more to say."

He laughed aloud. "How can you be so sure!?"

"I see what I see."

"Are you always right?"

"No. But more often than not."

"Okay, it seems you will always win," he said and she smiled off.

"You are so small I did not take notice at once. I think we passed on an aisle and you took me in. yes, I know it."

"I did do that."

"I was just trying to get chips and dip and I have this weird thing about veggies."

"You dropped the bags"

"I thought it was one."

"It was two. I loved you for that."

"You loved me for dropped dead lettuce and decided you wanted a baby with me?"

"No you decided, I only saw it ahead of you."
________________________
be careful what you look at...

Posted by Picasa

No comments: