Friday, August 12, 2005

Human Interest, Part 3



Okay, okay...I never spoke at this church. I called but they weren't interested in the interesting topics I had in mind. Later I called the Unitarians...not interested either. Finally, a convalescent home where I was greeted with much fanfare and a large bowl of rice pudding.

In the meantime I did go by there, meet the janitor, and when he wasn't looking I "borrowed" the lettering. I plan on doing this on a regular basis because I told him my name was Bob.

In the meantime, I didn't know how to help Mac, which he never noticed because, well I never help him. My sole interest is in picking at his wounds in a sardonic and humorous way when he least expects it. In an odd way this actually does help him, but only on the sly.

He's obviously in misery. He's such an attention whore (the whole ADHD thing) that I find it interesting to ignore him from time to time in conversation. He'll build up a big head of steam and be going full throttle and I'll gaze out the window and pretend to fixate on some other object or idea that is truly interesting as he prattles on (he was, after all, the Men's Freestyle Prattling champion in the Summer games in Barcelona).

That or I interrupt him with some wild tangent, then watch him fume.

Which is not often. As impulsive as he is, Mac has a lot of patience.

I do not and I find this line of thinking very uninteresting.

So what is interest?

Well, the word literally means "to be inbetween" but we do not usually use it so forcefully. Admittedly, when a man in deeply interested in a woman the above definition does fit.

But what of compound interest, self-interest, vested interest, shared interest, and interest groups?

And what of related categories like curiousity, attraction, entertainment, hobbies and love interests?

For example, I am listening to Sheryl Crow, whose music and lyrics interest me. I am blogging away and wondering what readers will find interesting and not. I am interested in how today will go...what I will cook, and drink and if I will make love to a woman. I am interested in my emails and whether the weather will remain cool here. I'm interested in where this whole piece is going because I really, as usual, have no idea.

That's the part that keeps me interested.
________________________________

Part four on the way...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nicely said.