Sunday, September 04, 2005

Al Michaels on God


Al Michaels.
______________________

So I do a thing on dreams and Simon Templar decides to also do a serious piece on dreams. Okay. Enough!

Dreams are ridiculous. Take this one from last night...

I'm following Al Michael's around asking him questions about announcing. He just wants a Coke at this ridiculous giant chicken restaurant. I'm immediately pissed because I see they want 1.79 for a stupid 8 ounce Coke.

Rip-off.

Michaels turns to me and says "Don't worry, it's on me."

I figure he can afford it I follow Michaels into the restaurant and we go up to the counter and order.

"Let me ask you," I say "I know it's very tough to be ON all the time during a broadcast...but you guys do coast, right?"

"Coast?" he asks incredulously.

"Yes, coast. I mean whenever you tell a story that you have told more than 8 times, you are just coasting...it's just filler." I say. "You just start it and your brain goes elsewhere. I mean I've heard you tell the Bobby Bonds story 11 times...you are just coasting."

He grins back at me and says "Yeah, but I am still angry at God."

"You angry at God? Why would you be angry at God?"

"Who said anything about God?" I am thinking as just then a man in a dark blue suit walks up and looks me in the eyes and says "There is no such thing as God. It is a projection of human need and desire and the fear of death. It is not scientific and therefore irrelevant."

"Oh Geez," I say to Michaels. "Ya can't go anywhere these days."

"Look buddy," I say. "First of all you can't even explain your own existence and consciousness. Haven't you heard of Heisenberg's theory? Hey I have my own doubts about God's existence but let's not be stupid here."

He reaches across the counter and takes his order of chicken and walks away mumbling about the fall of the Berlin Wall. Michael's is not amused.

"Just get the chicken, okay?" he asks. "And the Cokes."

I do and follow on behind.

We sit down on a park bench to eat and he says "Well I was angry. But not so much anymore."

Just then we are interrupted by a commercial break...or the equivalent in dreamland.
________________________________
Why is it always three names and get him out of the pool!

Posted by Picasa

No comments: