Thursday, July 28, 2005

Answers Three: Literary genre



Dani writes:

Dear Maugham,

What is your favorite genre?


Well, er...mine. That is why I love to write every day.

So what genre is mine?

Well Gonzo for sure after the late Good Doctor...and you must all read Fear and Loathing Las Vegas.

I like a mixture of Gonzo journalism, farce, hard-core philosophy, and humor...then I like to sex it up a bit with more relational stuff.

But humor is pretty key.

My literary mentors are an impossible grouop. Someday I should write a short book where I force them all into the same room for a night of wining, dining and debate.

Who would come?

Walker Percy (semiotics), Woody Allen (farce...and yes he would have to come alone), C.S. Lewis (theology), Anne Lamott (everything), Ernest Becker (Science and Academia), Thomas Merton (Spirituality), Thich Nyat Hanh (Wisdom), Peter Berger (Sociology), Denis DeRougemont (Love and Romance), David Sedaris (Culture), Spalding Gray (the Human Condition), and Jon Stewart (Politics).

Oh..and Bono.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

tabitha jane said...

mmmmm c.s. lewis. what a guy.