Saturday, July 30, 2005

Interview with Mac Part 1


Recently Maugham Malraux sat down with Mac and interviewed him, a project he had been pestering him about for years. The following is a record of their candid conversation about spiritiuality, religion, the arts and relationships.
____________________________________

MM: Well I often call you a "wuss" in popular discourse, so I must say I am surprised you agreed to this. It's hard enough to get you out for coffee, so O reclusive one, can you tell us why you agreed to do this?

MAC: I thought it about time to address some fairly controversial things and I knew you would be hard on me, yet fair and direct.

MM: Oh great...an agenda?

MAC: Yeah sure. You know damn well I am a subversive.

MM: How did that happen, where did that come from?

MAC: I think I have always had a heart for those oppressed or used by others. When I was younger there was nothing I could do. I was one of the powerless. Later, after my conversion, I suddenly became empowered. You can see the pattern woven throughout my life. I fought cults in the 80s, worked hard in the 90's on church renewal and now am a strong critic of Consumer Christianity.

MM: I have never got the "Christian" thing with you. You seem too smart and you rail against religion every bit as much as I do, though I think you wuss out.

MAC: Well first of all the label "Christian" should be understood as an irony.

MM: An irony? You are shitting me.

MAC: "I wouldn't shit you boy. Yer my favorite turd." Name that movie.

MM: Easy, Cool Hand Luke. Now answer the fookin question.

MAC: The only time the name "Christian" is used in the Bible is in Acts as a term of derision by those who felt threatened by this new faith. The irony is that it is now still a term of derision but for the opposite reasons.

In the early days of the young church they were an anomaly in the community because they had fresh faith and they were known for their love for people, both Jews and Gentiles. Their only power was in their serving others and in their love and faith. That was a threat in the face of the dominant political and religious power structures.

Now we have a situation where the word "Christian" has become synonymous with the dominant political and religious power structures in America. So when I meet someone and they find that I am a "Christian" they assume I am a Right-Wing, Pro-War, Capitalist, Judgmental A-Hole.

MM: And yet you are none of those things except being an A-Hole.

MAC: Right. So we need a new term...maybe "iChristians"

MM: Will that play on my iPod?

MAC: Well, it would raise the question, "what the hell is an iChristian?"

MM: What the hell is an iChristian?

MAC: An ironic one numbnuts. You need more coffee?

MM: No, I'm drinking wine.

MAC: At 10 a.m. in the morning, are you crazy?

MM: I thought it would be more fun because you are so damned serious all the time.

MAC: True. Sorry.

MM: Wuss.
______________
Next...
Posted by Picasa

No comments: