Friday, July 29, 2005

Searching for Rod Swenson Part 5



When I first met Rod I was seeking refuge at a "liberal" Presbyterian church in Sacramento. I had been humiluated, masticated and pooped out the far end by some Fundagelicals and yet I still retained some love for God.

I had long drak hair down my back and, well you get the overall physical picture. I had a wide berth to say the least.

Still someone found out (ah yes, I remember now who it was...) I was a long-time student and master teacher in biblical literature. After a year or two they roped me into doing a small class.

I did no promotion. I hoped no one would show.

There were four people who showed up. Great. But one was Rod.

Rejected by his girlfriend in San Francisco he, in his very late 40's had to retreat to Sacramento and live with his mother.

Someone invited him to church. He came to the class. he had twenty years of built up ammo to spray my body with.

Except that never happened.

Because I agreed with him. I laughed...we dug deeper...we explored.

He looked dizzy when we were done. But he came back the next week and every week after for a very long time.

Then he met the beautiful LizAnn, years his junior but quirky just like Rod...funny...iconoclastic...containing a certain "light" that Rod immediately saw.

He wooed her. They married and the only reason I was not there was my best friend of 30 years (who had never been married) was getting marreid the exact same day in San Diego.

Still poems were exchanged which will be posted here later.

They moved to Taiwan, then Taipei and they adopted a son there who I have never met, but seeing the painting above...omigod..so perfect.

So where are you Rod Swenson and what are you doing now?

Posted by Picasa

No comments: