Saturday, July 30, 2005

Interview with Mac Part 3



Part Three

MM: Do you go to a church now

MAC: No.

MM: Why not?

MAC: My girlfriend likes to watch Spongebob on Sunday mornings.

MM: And here I thought you had no sense of humor.

MAC: I'm serious.

MM: Did you do lots of hallucinogens in the 70s?

MAC: No.

MM: So whereas you use to go to church on Sunday mornings with your wife and kids, now you get up on Sundays with your girlfriend, who you live with, and watch Spongebob instead?

MAC: I find Patrick very inspiring.

MM: You're joking.

MAC: Yes, just reminding you that I still have some vestige of humor left even though I gave almost all of it to you.

MM: I think that was wise by the way, because you can be a real drag.

MAC: Thanks. Remember I could erase you at any moment.

MM: Ooooo, I'm scared. You can't fool me. You are a benevolent creator who is far too merciful, plus you love us rascals the best.

MAC: I'll cop to that. "Ask your question bridgekeeper I'm not afraid!" Name that movie.

MM: Oh do get off. Not worth my time. Er, and don't think I didn't notice you derailed us.

Sunday mornings?

MAC: Okay. You have three choices. You can go to a Baby Boomer church were you sit passively and watch the music, the little play, the announcements and the sermon. Then you have coffee (or lattes in the newer ones). Then you go home.

Or you can stay home and turn on one of the TV churches and do all the same things from your couch in utter passivity.

Or you can watch Spongebob.

MM: I see your point. Hmnnn...

MAC: I still do "Church".

MM: But you said...

MAC: I said I did not go to a church on Sunday mornings. I did not say I did not do Church.

I did Church last week meeting with Rick for coffee.

MM: You have been outside another time this week?

MAC: Yes. We meet often for a few hours. It's active, engaging and we both learn. I also email back and forth with people all over the world in an open and very spiritual way.

MM: Christians?

MAC: iChristians...just kidding. Actually they are of all persuasions, beliefs and political affiliations. I would say this, they are all spiritual in their own ways and also very honest. I see a deep connection between honesty, spirituality and even faith.

This is why I see the current juggernaut of political and religious power in America as opposing spirituality and faith. It certainly fails the "love test" that Jesus and the early writers of the New Testament preached.

America is the New Roman Empire and the only answer to the joining of political, economic, and militaristic power under the banner of religion is to be subversive.

The Gospel is inherently subversive while being trans-historical and trans-cultural.

MM: God I forget sometimes how much I hate talking with you. You are SOOOO boring! I'm having a third glass of wine because I can see you are winding up so I wanna get a little tight so I can kick your ass.

MAC: Again, you asked. I admit I am pretty humorless. It's why I became a writer, because I am so annoying in person. I admit that. I do not get how my girlfriend can stand me. Of course, my two ex-wives couldn't.

MM: Was that an attempt at humor?

MAC: Er, I suppose. Can we move on?
_________________
Next... Posted by Picasa

No comments: