Monday, July 18, 2005

Weird Science Part Finale: Final Grades


Psychic Jean Grey being, er...not being torn apart by Wolverine.
________________________________

So over 100 years after its birth, modern psychology had lapsed into a state of dismemberment. Each "school" of psychology approached human nature from a divisive and myopic angle, applying only it's own hermeneutic, diagnostics and treatments. Since each school's perspective was universal, there was no need to give place to other theories or practices. Lacking any unifying core, the various schools of psychology became increasingly obsessed with the trivial.

In short, as Kierkegaard once said of Hegel, "You have answered all the questions except what it means to be born, live, and die as a human being."

It's deeply ironic that while these psychology programs were growing they lacked one thing: a head.

********

Now it is 1996 and things are better, at least in theory. It seems there is more diversity and a growing cross pollenation of ideas.

Which makes me wonder what it would have been like to study just ten years later. Maybe I would never have given up and become a writer. It makes me wonder what happened to the Fatty-Rat-Brain Lady, the Accordion Guy, and most of all the Agent-Orange Behaviorist who use to abuse his students.

They are probably all on Prozac.

So what was the easiest class I ever took there?

That's easy. It was my Psychic class. My professor tried to give me an F because she said I never showed up to a single class (which is true).

"I was there every class period," I told her. "I was there psychically."

I got an A.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm....
so all that you leaned to get your degree, i can learn from watching
Oprah??

Looks like i got the best bargain out of it!

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh!

HOW, can i forget Dr. Phil!!!

Him and Oprah and i got a full schedule!!