Friday, July 29, 2005

Searching for Rod Swenson Part 1



Guest Appearance by me (Mac) as my friend Maugham is busy today. He was arrested last night in San Francisco for peeing on a Federal Building. He claims he could not find a bathroom for seventeen blocks after three pints of Guinness. Anyway, I'm sure they'll let him out later today. I took this picture in 1991 of Rod holding the black bean dip in the company of Mike and Nissa.
_________________

You lose contact with people all the time, but I was thinking about Rod Swenson yesterday as I was painting. He was my unofficial teacher, although the lessons consisted mostly of our painting next to each other, discussing theory and Rod going "CHRISTOPHER!!! That's WONDERFUL!"

But i got a lot of my coloration from Rod and a sense of taking chances with a series and having fun as you worked it.

Well we lived in Sacramento at the time and now he and LizAnn are in Taiwan, and I am in the Bay Area and our lives have changed a great deal.

I am not longer married, he is. They have adopted a beautiful boy (great painting to come) and that is about all I know.

But that is why Google exists (that and for Google to makes lots of dough).

So I did a Google search and this is what I found.
_____
Next...

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally dug this succession of posts...very nicely done. so, you kissed on the mouth...he was your teacher, a painter, you got along well...and now you've sought him out. TaiPan...nice. I just learned not only an awful lot about Rod Swenson, but about you as well....very interesting individual with many stories I'm sure. I'd love to hear them all. 6'6...my goodness.....I'd be like a midget standing next to you. ;)

erl said...

that was simply amazing.